It may sound weird to you, but some cats need to wear diapers, including those with special needs, spraying problems, and long-term medical issues. Also, they are an excellent and irreplaceable solution for kitties on postoperative recovery.
They will allow your furry friend freedom of movement without the risk of you getting stuck with damaged furniture and dirty floors in your home. Let's find the best wayhow to use cat diapers & the top 5 picks at your disposal.
When to Use Cat Diapers?
There are a few crucial reasons to purchase diapers for your kitty. Fortunately, most of them are short-term. There is a list of the most common ones:
- Elderly cats
- Kitties with special needs
- Preventing blood leakage during the heat
- Recently neutered cats suffering from leaks
- Any urinary or bowel issue, including the postoperative period before the cat regains control over its bladder/bowels
- Health issues such as kidney disease, incontinence, dementia, diabetes, arthritis, blindness, or cancer
How to Choose the Best Cat Diapers?
There are a few primary characteristics the cat diapers need to fulfill to be safe and comfortable for your furry friend. Let's see.
Size - Except for a few exceptions, almost all pet diapers available on the market are for dogs. Fortunately, you can find diapers of small or even extra small size for your kitty after measuring its waist. The smallest option offers 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
Material - Choose diapers made of lightweight and durable fabric with robust and high-quality Velcro.
Washable or disposable - Which option you will need depends on the issue your cat has. If it is a long-lasting problem, you should pick out washable diapers.
Tail opening - Usually, there is one, but sometimes you will need to make the hole on your own.
Comfort factors - Your kitty deserves comfortable diapers, which you can easily change as needed.
5 Top-Notch Cat Diapers on the Market
You can find these reusable cloth diapers with an odor control layer in a wide variety of designs. Thanks to the waterproof outer layer, these highly absorbent diapers ensure that there will be no leaks at all. Since you can wash them over 300 times, purchasing them will cut down your cost of buying new diapers.
- They feature a unique texture with comfortable, extra quilted stitching
- There is a wide range of sizes
- You can close them quickly thanks to adjustable hook and loop, which will not stick to fur
- The tail hole is large enough
- They are the non-biodegradable products
- That is a bit expensive product
Even though these are disposable diapers for dogs, you can pick out the extra small-size models for most grown cats.
Like every other absorbent diaper, they have a hole for a tail, standard elasticated opening with fit tabs, and a super-absorbent gel pad. Plus, they fit well, and there are no leaks at all.
- They are environment-friendly after use
- These ultra-thinness diapers will help your cat feels comfortable even after soiling
- The absorbent core, breathable bottom layers, and repositionable fur resistant fasteners are highly convenient
- Their leak-proof technology converts urine into gel
- They are quite costly since this model is disposable
- These are non-reusable diapers
These contemporarily designed reusable diapers are an excellently choice for both old cats suffering from seasonal incontinence and young kitties. I adore their inner fabric lining, which is ultra-soft and highly-absorbent.
On the other hand, the waterproof outer fabric ensures that there will be no leaking at all. You can wash this type of diapers regularly and save some money by avoiding buying diapers daily.
- They come in modern and attractive colors and a wide range of sizes
- These diapers offer comfort for your kitty
- You can use them without absorbing pads if necessary
- Reliable thick Velcro straps will not stick to fur
- It is an eco-friendly model
- Velcro straps are not long enough
- The tail area is quite small, and some customers complain it is placed oddly
For those who look for a short term option, such as postoperative recovery, these disposable diapers are a better solution than reusable cloth ones. A comfort fit band with a leak-barrier minimizes spillage, and a wetness indicator will let you know when it is time to change the diaper.
- They have four different sizes, including the extra small one, which fits most cats
- A pack with 12 diapers will last a few days
- An absorbent core keeps your cat feel comfortable
- A practically positioned tail hole is easy to fit
- These diapers are environment-friendly and biodegradable
- They are non-reusable
- There is no extra-large size available
- They are made of cheap material and have only one horizontal Velcro strip which is not highly functional
Even though Barkertime is well-known as a manufacturer for dog products, they produce top-quality cat diapers, as well. You can use these American made diapers for an incontinent senior cat, a spraying tomcat, and a female kitty in heat. Surprisingly, there is a version without a hole for the tail.
- Small and extra small sizes fit most cats
- Poly-cotton fabric outside, soft lining inside, and waterproof barrier in the middle make this model comfortable and reliable
- The adjustable hook-and-loop tab system provides quick and effortless dressing and undressing
- There are a few extravagant prints available
- It is a disposable product for short term usage
- It is quite challenging to put them to the cat
- The cat takes them off quickly
All of the listed models are practical, convenient, and reliable, but it seems to me that Pet Magasin Reusable Luxury Diapers are a top-notch, eco-friendly choice you can make for your cat.
You can use them for senior cats suffering from incontinence and young kitties learning to use a litter box. Your kitty will enjoy ultra-soft and highly-absorbent inside, and you will appreciate the waterproof outer fabric preventing leaking.